Best method to memorize a textbook?

book-memorization

Hi, Josh Cohen,

thank you for your suggestion and help, actually I had contextualized Greek as an ancient language, not modern Greek. If you see my first post it reads that I am learning Greek and Latin root words and combining forms. Maybe I should have put in ancient just to be sure. Sorry about that.

I went to your linked page, thank you kindly for your thoughtful contribution and please let me know if I have misunderstood. The reason I am learning Ancient Greek and Latin words is for their extraordinary reach in other European languages, ours being no exception, the sciences, humanities etc included.

On that note, in case anyone would like to know, I figured out how to create enough support images and in an accessible way, and have already begun. It is going well! Have repeated enough that the new info I’ve learned is memorized. :slight_smile:

Will keep you “posted!”
:slight_smile:

(Josh Cohen) #24

I saw that part. I should have specified: my examples are in Modern Greek (only because that’s what I’m more familiar with) but that the same basic concepts probably apply. :slight_smile:

I think much of the vocabulary is similar between Modern and Ancient, even if the pronunciation and grammar are different. The vocabulary techniques I mentioned can be applied to Ancient Greek, Modern Greek, Esperanto, or another language…

EDIT: the words I mentioned that are similar to the scientific and medical words in English are from Ancient Greek even though I gave the Modern forms…

(Asad Khan) #25

hi everyone!
I’ve read my fellows comments and they are really helpful.

However, I still need some help people…
I have an entire course compromising of 6 subjects. How am I going to remember so much using the journeys? Would I have to then imagine virtually new buildings or places?

The Chemistry book has around 300 pages. But as I am only going to remember the topics in the whole book; the topics that ought to be around 500 or a 1000.
This book is composed primarily on Organic Chemistry. So how am I going to memorize this all (equations, values etc) Because each topic covers numerous headings that are certainly important.
Would it be better if I use one image per topic (but again as i mentioned a single topic contains numerous stages) ? How Would I Remember that?

The Physics book has also 300 pages. here there are less headings but numerous small topics. Please help out.

Also mention how to calculate my time regarding to complete this entire course in as small time rate as possible.
Please do mention any other tips too.
Thanking in anticipation. It would be a great help if you reply me.

(Asad Khan) #26

hello? No one to help?

Man … I’m not an expert … but you cannot try to remember and skip the understanding part . The understanding part is far more important than the remembering part . If you don’t understand something … you will not be able to use that information in the future effectively even if you do remember it . And if you understand perfectly what you read … than the remembering part will not be such a big problem anymore . There was a study that said that you remember 90 % of the material you understand perfectly . Now … it depends on each person but … still .

So at first I would use a notebook to take notes from the book . I would organize my time so I won’t cram up the material in the last few days . I would select the most important stuff … the stuff that you believe you will certainly be tested on … if you have an idea about that … and I would learn that first . Try to ask people that were in similar classes to get an idea of what you will be tested on . I know a person that got almost straight A’s by asking students from senior classes what they were tested out on when they were in prior years . That person use to learn only what was necessary.
You read … and you put down in your notebook what you understand not what is written . Put it down in your own words on your left page , try to explain it with as much words as possible and in the simplest terms you can . On your right page write down a mind map of the material from the left page of your notebook … or something similar, something with as fewer words as possible . After you’ve done all this … Take the mind maps and try to squeeze everything in 1 page . Write as small as possible … and take out even more redundancy if that is possible . You can memorize these words… from the last page … with memory techniques if you wish but I would try to repeat this stuff a couple of times before … just to get a feeling of the material .

Remember the Key of learning is not to make a perfect copy of the material you want to learn . That is crap . If you watch people talk on TV … everyone has his own ideas and words … and if you try to make a perfect copy of what you read … than … you are defying the purpose of learning .

(Asad Khan) #28

Yes, I’ve read the book of Dominic O’ Brien “you can have an amazing memory”.

(Asad Khan) #29

Yes, I’ve read the book of Dominic O’ Brien “you can have an amazing memory”.

(Asad Khan) #30

Surely I will try this. Ginel, thanks. But a Question.
We as students are effective at note.taking; during the lec. and from book. So if I just jot down once and for all the topic’s main points and then use the techniques? as it would save the time. And then I dont have to make maps too.
Would that help?

Asad … every single idea that you pick up from your book … or from your lecturer … you must filter it !! I use to have this problem big time !! When I went to college … I use to learn by repeating stuff like crazy … in the last week before the exam . And that was crap . I got only bad grades . Since then … I’ve tried searching for new ways to improve my learning abilities … because I wanted to know a lot of stuff . I’ve tried to memorize verbatim a book … and it is a bad idea … trust me !!

For example :

"One of the goals of microeconomics is to analyze market mechanisms that establish relative prices amongst goods and services and allocation of limited resources amongst many alternative uses ".

You can imagine here a soccer player trying to score a goal and in the field you have a market place and so on … to memorize this definition I got from Wikipedia . But this means nothing . You will spit this information out … after hurting your brain for many many times … and you will eventually remain behind others because you did not put your logic into this learning . This is a big mistake . You must come up with your own explanation and conclusions . You cannot draw any conclusions if you learn this way . You will only acquire lots of information that will mean nothing for you .

So… the key to learning is quality before quantity . Read some text like that one I just gave you as example then explain it … and make analogies and draw conclusions . And you may think that it is much difficult but it is not . You will only have to read the material once for most of the time and it will stick . And it will stick for many many months if you’ve done this correctly .

So for the above example I would write something like :
Microeconomics has many goals . One of it’s goals is to know how the market works when it comes to establishing prices of goods and services that relate to one another and to allocate those goods that are very limited by choosing against many alternatives . ( I’m not 100% I got it right … my native language is Romanian … ).

But you can go on … and make an analogy … this definition could remind you of your grandma and grandpa … when they were trying to allocate money to buy goods according to their needs … and they tried to see the correlation between some expenses ( maybe this is silly … but … when you make as many analogies as possible the thing will become more and more profound ) … You can make links ( analogies like this one ) between different disciplines . So if you are learning for Chemistry … you can relate something from there … with something from Physics … but it is up to you to do that … it is up to you to see the logic … and you will shoot 2 birds with one bullet because both things will stick better to your brain . The more you correlate information … the more you will understand … and the more you will be able to remember it and use it when the time comes . Do not jump to using Dominic system … because that is not the Key in my opinion . Even Dominic said in one of his books … that you must draw a mind map to understand the material … then try to use his system .
For me … that is the least important step . But nonetheless … you can peg those key words so it will give you a cue when you are stuck on your test.
From my experience … I can tell you that if you don’t like to study … you won’t become efficient with any of these methods .
And to love it a bit … even if you don’t … you must do a little each day … don’t cram up stuff in the last week before the exams . I know a guy that studies chemistry ( wants to work in pharmacology ) … and has a very bad memory … forgets everything … forgot his backpack in the bus for example . He does not use Dominic O’brien system … or any other similar system to learn … and he has straight A’s . But he studies each day … and postpones some exams for late summer … so he can get good grades on each and every one of them .

So to give you a straight answer :

You can learn very effectively from your class without taking other notes or anything else … but you have to have razor sharp attention and pose questions to your lecturer … and write of course … as I said before … what you understand … not what you hear . After the class is over … you can stay another 5-10 minutes in your place … and try to review your notes to see if you understood everything . If you have questions … open your manual … and make adjustments to your notes .

Write at home … as small as possible … key words on a piece of paper with arrows . This will aid you when you will be reviewing stuff with spaced repetition . You can try to use Dominic System or some other sort of system … but my guess is … it will be very easy at this stage for you to review everything … because you’ve grasped the material very well .

Of course … you have exams … and you must show some efficiency when learning . But … when your finals will come … in your last year … you will know very much only if you have dedicated enough time to learning … and learning effectively . How do you imagine that you could turn in a paper on a subject … if you learn everything with memory techniques . Memory techniques … are just that … they are used for memorizing … and that does not equal learning .

Hope it helped .

(Josh Cohen) #32

I wanted to add a link from this thread to the newer thread about memorizing nonfiction books. It’s an interesting discussion.

Here is a guide specifying the different ways to memorize a book and how to use them.

Bateman

Hello Yan.

I found this comment very useful and informative.

Could you please elaborate more about the “speed reading and time management” techniques you mentioned while reading a book.

Thanks

Anthony Metivier has an interesting podcast about it.

If creation of Memory Palace is that difficult for you, use this technique. Let’s say you got 10 chapters to memorise. Associate first chapter with one location. Construct a unique visual image corresponding to the first topic of the first chapter. It is best if you can link the topic to a person or in other ways it is helpful to have a person as a visual image. It is very important that this person reminds you of that topic and vice versa. Now create a story with this person as a main character. Make the story underline all important concepts in the logical order in which they are presented. Create different person for each concept and different story for each elaboration. Link these people together and put them in the location. For each chapter create a location. That said, you will have 10 locations which you need to put in a logical order(journey/palace). Also you will have quite a many people. Each will tell you a different story which you can decode to create facts. The key here is to practise active recall as frequently as possible. With time you will get advanced and won’t require much time to create story and that is when you will be competent to memorise a textbook in an equivalent time as you take to read it verbally.

I dont understand very well how you link the “Location Date” with “Location Definition”.

Ex: Now, you will have, a date in a location and a definition you have added to it. The definition will be in a separate location with those so.

How i’ll remember “data->definition” if they’re in different locations.
It would not be better if i catch “journey date” and input the definition in some “loci spaces”?

Yan,

I am having difficulties understanding this concept
“Link each image using a story or other linking methods within each page on the same locus. Do this for each page.”
If on the same loci if i have to store 10 mnemonic images , would that be complicated instead of using 10 loci to store 10 mnemonic images ?
Please elobarate

Yan,

“Link each image using a story or other linking methods within each page on the same locus. Do this for each page.”
If on the same loci if i have to store 10 mnemonic images , would that be complicated instead of using 10 loci to store 10 mnemonic images ?
Please elaborate

Srijan,
Please elaborate

(Rohit Sharma) #41

Anthony Metivier has a book about mnemonics and law related studies , check it out.

(Rachel) #42

If you want to memorize something you need to practice retrieving it from your memory. For many this is done by repeatedly copying or re-reading, during which you are anticipating bits that you remember reading. I did theater in high-school, and still remember my big speeches so when I went to medical school I memorized the book like I memorized my lines, saying them over and over.