Being 'mind-blind' may make remembering, dreaming and imagining harder, study finds

Blockquote

Interestingly, spatial imagery – the ability to imagine distance or locational relationship between things – was the only form of sensory imagery that had no significant changes across aphantasics and people who could visualise.

“The reported spatial abilities of aphantasics were on par with the control groups across many types of cognitive processes,” says Mr Dawes. “This included when imagining new scenes, during spatial memory or navigation, and even when dreaming.”

Blockquote

Also,

Blockquote

“Our work is the first to show that aphantasic individuals also show a reduced ability to remember the past and prospect into the future,” says Mr Dawes. “This suggests that visual imagery might play a key role in memory processes.”

Blockquote

Source: https://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/science-tech/being-mind-blind-may-make-remembering-dreaming-and-imagining-harder-study-finds

2 Likes

Very interesting article…I’m a very visual type person,so visual that sometimes, I am frustrated by the way my brain keeps making images for everything in my life! I even have vivid dreams(and a few lucid dreams) full of images. Some of them are even charged with emotions of fear,rage,anxiety and what not! I feel,aphantasia may be helpful in the sense that they don’t have to get tired by getting sensory overload!

1 Like