Beginner...would like to use techniques for medical school

Greeting fellow “Warriors of the Mind.”

I’m very new to all this memory stuff and was hooked about a week ago when I applied Harry Lorayne’s method for memorizing numbers to the first 100 digits of pi. I could recite 100 digits within an hour and, needless to say, I was thoroughly captivated by the idea of applying these memory techniques for my upcoming medical school studies (beginning July).

Hello moca83,

As a fellow medical student, I can assure you that you’ll find memory techniques very helpful during your studies. You can go through the books of Dominic O’Brien and use the techniques in them to come up with your own.

I use memory techniques a lot to memorize drugs, their effects, etc.

Hey moca83, welcome to the awesome world of memory techniques :smiley:

Hello Yan. I’m pleased to see other medical professionals utilizing various memory techniques–further confirmation that these methods can be used in a wide variety of venues. I will definitely check out O’Brien’s books…any other “must reads”?

At this point of my memory training, I’m trying to find ideal methods to memorize textbook-type information (i.e., biochem, immunology, etc) along with anatomy (attaching the vocabulary to the images). Maybe I can bounce some ideas off you as they come up?

Hope your training is going well. Talk to you later.

Thanks sleightly! I appreciate the warm welcome! :slight_smile:

I’m not a medical school student. I’m in nursing school and the most daunting thing about nursing is retaining memory while bombarded with distractions. I like to use peg lists and journey methods, roman room,etc. for my memory work. I study with classical music. When I take time with hobbies like card memory work I play youtube videos. I’m sure you know that distractions are one of the biggest distractions medical pros face in the workplace. Plus, doctors get beeped, phone called, texted,etc. with all sorts of demands, requests,etc. by us nurses. I think it’s WONDERFUL you are here.

Pharmacy kid here, I just joined up for the same reasons (learning things faster, retaining them, etc). I’ll lurk around for a bit, but if there’s any awesome little bits of info/etc feel free to let me know. #totalnoobatthis

Ok, I’ve been thinking about how to convert med school information (i.e., First Aid for the USMLE) into a format that can easily be retrieved and have come up with a few options…I’ll keep it short and to the point. First, the complex nature of the information absolutely requires a thorough understanding at bare minimum. I believe that using a journey method, loci, or linking, will add a kind of “retrieval cue” which would otherwise have been vague at best if I had to retrieve the information from the dark-vast universe of my mind. So there certainly is a benefit to structuring the information in a logical manner and arranging it in an intimate visual-spatial setting in my mind. Second, drawing on the complex nature of the material, again, I believe using a mind map that is intimately linked to the retrieval image (which is placed in each loci) will help consolidate space. I’m not absolutely certain if this is the most efficient way to memorize this type of info, but it’s the best I can come up with thus far. I’ll post updates to my progress once I begin testing this strategy over the next few weeks.

A non-optimal method that you use is going to be infinitely better than an optimal system you do not use.
Looking forward to hearing about your progress and what you discover along the way.

Hey,

I am new here and also a medical student. I have read a few books by Jonathan Hancock, Dominic O’Brien, Tony Buzan, Dean Vaughn and some other memory books.

I can’t believe no one mentioned Jonathan Hancock’s system. His method bases upon making memorable stories and making use of method of loci for connections between key points. I truly recommend his “mindpower system” book. I got it for £0.01 on amazon. Really a gem. In his “mindpower system”, he goes into describing how he memorizes essays (or important information) and various information. His descriptions are extremely detailed. His number system is very unique. its a basically 0 to 12 number shaped based which can be expanded into 12 different themes combined with actions and descriptions. and the numbers go on a story and can be very diverse and memorable and can be made to fit any scenario.

If there is a definitive article on specific memory techniques people have used for medical school subjects, kindly point to the relevant forum (I’m new here)!

Eg.
Anatomy: use ______
Biochemistry: use ______
Cell Biology: use ______
Embryology: use ______
Genetics: use ______
Human Behavior: use ______
Immunology: use ______
Neuroscience: use ______
Physiology: use ______

I’ll also keep searching. Cheers and lots of great info, everyone!

–Ben

Hi Ben,

Sorry for the necro-bump but did you figure this out yourself? I’ll be matriculating in the fall and need all the help I can get. Thank you!