Arithmetic book

Do you guys know a book with arithmetic problems?

I want to have one so I have something physical to touch, write on and take with me. Preferable with hard arithmetic problems, like 5 by 5 digit multiplications, two digit numbers to the 6th power or something, ten digit addition problems, division to 10+ decimals, square roots, third root of 9 digit numbers etc.

Typing all the time becomes annoying and searching for/writing down the problems myself isn’t a lot of fun either.

1 Like

You might have to make your own. It shouldn’t be to hard to generate pages filled with random numbers.
Pick a spot and decide how many digits. Should be good for a lifetime of fun.

You could probably use latex and \rand to generate a nicely formated random book for you with not a lot of work at all.

This seems to work nicely. I leave the formatting to you.

Blockquote
\documentclass[a4paper,11pt]{article}
\usepackage{tikz}
\begin{document}
\pgfmathsetseed{1}
\pgfmathparse{int(random(0,12)*5)}\let\vara=\pgfmathresult
\pgfmathparse{int(random(0,12)*5)}\let\varb=\pgfmathresult
\begin{tabular}[t]{ c c }
\vara & \vara \ % keep var constant on row
\varb & \varb \
\end{tabular}
\pgfmathparse{int(random(0,12)*10)}\let\varc=\pgfmathresult
\pgfmathparse{int(random(0,12)*10)}\let\vard=\pgfmathresult
\begin{tabular}[t]{ c c }
\varc & \varc \ % keep var constant on row
\vard & \vard \
\end{tabular}
\end{document}

2 Likes

I have no sense of control…

This generates a very nice 25x39 12 pt randomly generated table of integers from 0-9.
You could tidy this up into a 100 page book and randomly open to a place on a page and start calculating.

Blockquote

\documentclass[12pt]{article}

\usepackage{tikz}

\begin{document}
\begin{tikzpicture}
\foreach \x in {1,…,25}{
\foreach \y in {1,…,39}{
\pgfmathrandominteger{\a}{0}{9}
\node at (\x/2,\y/2){\a};
}
}
\end{tikzpicture}

\end{document}

2 Likes

UPDATE

I’ve found a book with multiplication problems and also ordered it. It’s called “7000 Multiplication problems practice book” by Chris Mcmullen. It is part of the “Improve your math fluency”- series, which means there are more books like this one out there and also about different kinds of arithmetic problems like addition and subtraction. The book only goes as high as 3 by 3 digit multiplications but at least it is something.

For anyone interested, here is a link to it on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/000-Multiplication-Problems-Practice-Workbook/dp/1448613132

2 Likes