Anyone working on a "different" system? (256?)

I’m curious if anyone is working on a system different to the main ones:

Dominic
Major
PAO (which can be either of the above)
Ben ( based on Major )
Hannes / Shadow system ( based on Major )

Personally, I’m currently converting my 100/600 PAO (based on Dominic) into a 256 system. I won’t go into why.

I toyed for a looooooong time with the idea of converting my 99 into 999, using a category system. After that, I would have used the shadow system (Lance/Hannes), which I really like.

Instead, for now, I’m going with 256 images. What about you?

Hm, too bad you won’t go into why you are using 256. Something to do with binary or computers? I’m working on 3 or 4 ideas for unique systems. It’s quite fun. I would want to make sure they work a little and aren’t totally foolish before posting about them though.

Sorry, I didn’t mean “I won’t go into it”, as if it’s private. I just meant it wasn’t relevant to the point.

I am currently toying with it as having advantages in binary and the possibility to store 4 cards in 3 images.

Hi Graham,

I’m working on using the system that ‘The Major’ developed. Its in one of his books that I found on google books. He divides each of the walls in a room into a grid of 10 squares. If you zoom into one square on a grid there is another grid of 10 squares.

that way, each wall can hold 100 images or pieces of information. Its pretty powerful. It just takes time to set it up. Its kind of like a journey method but with the distance between loci removed. if you have a major peg system 1-100 you can set up the wall with the pegs in each square.

Hopefully that makes sense

best,

Séa

Less L. Memorization Method (2012 Invention)

I’m still working on that one.

Simon

I want to learn this:

Graham: Could you post a link to the Hannes/Shadow system? That would be awesome. :slight_smile:

Shadow system:

Hannes:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/memorysports/conversations/topics/1259

Johannes must have changed his method at some point. Isn’t he currently (along with Alex M) using the “block” method, which identifies the suit by it’s placement on a locus?

Yeah, he is. Sorry, I hadn’t actually read through the post. I’d just recorded it as the place where Hannes speaks about his system.

EDIT: Alex mentions Hannes block method here, 5th post down:

But you can get it all from the post on the Shadow system.

Yeah, I don’t think I need to worry about a system that complex until I’m under 60 seconds! It’s amazing to see what people can come up with, though.

Thanks for these!

I’m just getting started with a Dominic system , and I cast about looking for a better way of storing cards…what I think I’m going to attempt after remembering the 100 PAO list is to add a few alternates. Specifically one to the person and action and two to the object list, perhaps more later. The use of alternates (for example Churchill to Hitler) allows me to reach 169 people and actions, and 256 objects. Thus I can store 4 cards in this PAO system with only 700 items and a whole deck in 13 locations… (First-Card-value13+Second card)= Person. (Third card value13+Fourth card)=Action 4suits^4cards=256 objects. So values of 8 and 7 yield 8*13+7= 111 or alternate to Hitler, which is Churchill. Whether or not this is practical in action is to be determined; I’m hoping the value and suit combinations become automatic, which they should.

Glad to hear it! :slight_smile: It’s a deceptively different approach.

I love the sound of that, Myrthryn.

It sounds almost like a combination of PAO and Shadow. Would that be right?

I just wonder if you’ll get enough distinct shadows. I guess another option would just be to have primary Ps and secondary Ps. That would be a useful way to avoid repetition, but I wonder about the effect on speed.

I’d love to hear some more examples.

Just for completeness:

Arrik has a unique system here:

And Octaveslur has a 256 system here: