Anyone into Speedcubing?

Hey all, this is a bit off topic so I thought it’ll be better here. Is anyone into speedcubing at all? I thought it’ll be nice to talk about methods of learning notations and stuff.

Currently I’m close to sub 1min (sometimes under, but not consistently). I don’t use any memory techniques to learn notations/moves, however I guess in the future it might be necessary in order to reduce my times. I intuitively work out F2L, and use 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL.

What about you guys :D?

Yep. Used to cube. Did a 3x3 in ~40s I think.

Got everything from a 2x2 up to a 7x7. Used to have a Square-1 till I broke it.

It’s not really worth memorising the algorithms. It’s more muscle memory if you’re going for speed. Just drill them in.

1st post! Looking into developing my memory for uni.

yeh its really just muscle memory. slowly that time will go down. i used to do it around 45 sec average and even now when i havent done it in a year i can still do it in a minute for sure, just because i’ve done it so much. if you want to get down sub-30 seconds on a constant basis, you’ll have to start memorizing algorithms, which is probably a waste of time haha. the cube is fun but at a certain point…you know the rest hahaha

(Josh Cohen) #4

I just found a Rubik’s Cube last night, and looked it up online. Amazing:

Another one:

Hi,
I can not speed cube as of now. I can solve the cube in 2:15(that’s my best so far). I would like to start learning how to speed cube. I noticed someone mentioned muscle memory here. How can I improve this skill? Can you guys point me out to any resources that I can use to learn to speed cube. I have gradually improved my timing from a little over 5 min to 2:15. I find that I have reached the OK plateau now. I would like to go further. PLease jot down what your training methods are? What aspects of the solving do you measure? What algorithms do you use? And what resources you use?

I’ve been solving the rubik’s cube for about 4 years now. I can solve it in about 13 seconds and I use the Fridrich method (cross,F2L,OLL,PLL). I can solve it blindfolded in about 1:30. However I haven’t practiced very much lately.

I also speedcube. I average about 15 seconds with Fridrich and 17 with Roux, and can do 3BLD in ~2:00 using OP.

One of you mentioned that speedcubing can get boring. Yes, that’s true, but there is a large array of what you can do with it. Blindfold is probably the most enjoyable for me, as it lets you practice both your dexterity and your memorization skill.

And I, like Red314, haven’t practiced much lately :P.

Hi there, guys. We´re finally here in our own thread =P
I use petrus as main method, with a pb of 15.04 and now i’m learning roux, although i’m barely sub30.
I started practising BLD a few months ago, and i got here looking for answers, hehe. I’m developing my letter pairs system for big cubes bld and multibld. Has any of you developed something like that already? has anyone thought that memorizing sequences of letters could be a lot more challenging than a sequence of binaries or decimals, or even decks of cards?

Check these two beasts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM9L8um2g3o

(Josh Cohen) #9

Great videos! I’ve just created a wiki page about blindfolded speedcubing where different mnemonic techniques can be described.

If anyone wants an account to edit the wiki, send me a message and I’ll create one for you. I had to turn off the wiki registrations because of spammers…

(Josh Cohen) #10

UPDATE: I turned wiki registrations back on.

For edge memo I use letter pairs and images at locations. Each sticker (22 total excluding my buffer piece) has a letter associated with it, so each location to shoot to is half the image.

i.e., If I have to shoot to the stickers AT BR PL QD, I’d just create images associated with those letter pairs and place them in locations. On average, you’ll need 11 locations, so 5 and a half images total.

For corners, I use an audio loop method. Each corner sticker also has a letter associated with it, so if I had to memorize… AT BR PL QD, I would say “at bar pill quid” as a loop in my head, and then solve corners first as to not forget it.

A lot of fast people use something similar to this system, but a few use something different. Like, I know for instance that Aron Puddy-Mathew (who averages about 30s, maybe sub-30s) uses a sentence-location method. He uses a letter pairs system similar to the above, but instead of converting the letter pairs into images, he just places the actual sentence he creates into the room as words. He only has to remember it for 20 seconds or so, so it seems to work well for him, but I haven’t seen many other people who it works well for.

This is old, but yes!
averages:
2x2 - 8s
3x3 - 26s
4x4 - 1:20
5x5 - 3:00
6x6 - 5:00
7x7 - 9:30
pyraminx - 6.5s
square1 - 1:15
megaminx - 5:45
3x3 OH - 50s
3x3 blind - 3-4m
4x4 blind - 30m

This is old, but yes!
averages:
2x2 - 8s
3x3 - 26s
4x4 - 1:20
5x5 - 3:00
6x6 - 5:00
7x7 - 9:30
pyraminx - 6.5s
square1 - 1:15
megaminx - 5:45
3x3 OH - 50s
3x3 blind - 3-4m
4x4 blind - 30m

Yes, I am into speedcubing and my best time is 17.24 seconds and I average around 24 seconds now. Recently started ‘Blindfold solves’ and it’s a long way to master it and then do multiple blindfold solves.

Thanks,
Om

Hi, I’m into speedcubung although I don’t think I’ll ever be able to speedcube blindfolded! I’m not brilliant yet, I tend to average around 90 sec although I haven’t timed myself recently so could have gotten quicker. I’m still using an intermediate method but at some time I intend on learning the full Friedrck method.

I seem to have a different approach to most for memorising the algorythms, each type of movement of the cube had a particular sound in my head so I turned the algorythms into musical rhythms until eventually they went into muscle memory. A different approach for people to try if you struggle with more conventional methods.

Yes, and I’m here because blindfold cubing is my main ‘thing’ in cubing, and I seek to improve my memory in BLD.

I haven’t tried BLD in a long time. It may seem odd that I don’t enjoy blindsolving while I do enjoy other memory-related things. My best blindsolve was around 3 minutes, and my best speedsolve was 9.03s. I will definitely try it once I practice the general memory categories some more. Are there any goals that you have in mind?

This looks interesting but first I need to learn to solve a normal 3x3 cube, any advice on where to start guys? What is the best method for solving a Rubiks cube?

Hey guys

I’m a 16 second CFOP solver, and I’m trying to cut my BLD memo times… I start by memorizing edges with about 2-3 Loci, then I memo corners with sound, then I execute corners, then edges. Any tips?