Anyone else interested in Ido (reformed Esperanto)?

I like the idea of Esperanto - the nice, logical vocabulary building, and the idea of an International Auxiliary Language. But unfortunately I just find Esperanto so darn ugly. Fortunately there was an official reform project, Ido, that fixes the ugliness - and I’m currently learning it. (Esperanto ugly? Yes, any language that can contain “Kvinstela hotelojn” or that can be written with the form “Vojagxo Gxis Noktofino” has ugly moments. Eww.)

I created an Anki deck for learning the vocabulary (doesn’t do much for the grammar, which you’ll have to look up elsewhere) with 600 items to get started - hopefully I’ve ironed out most of the typos by now too. The deck title is “Learn Ido - Aprender Ido - Ido Linguo”, with the front of the decks in English and Spanish and the back in Ido. Hopefully it’s of interest/help to someone here.

I am interested in Constructed Languages, especially Esperanto, Ido, Interlingua and Lojban.I think that I should focus on my French and Esperanto and continue later with learning Brazilian Portuguese, so constructed language are just for fun and quantity so may be some other time :wink: I will let everyone on the forum know when I am taking a new language.Cheers :smiley:

(You should keep studying, though - Good luck and Have FUN with it )

I like some of the changes in Ido, but I don’t think that it will be easy to find other speakers – there are only a couple hundred. It seems that one reason that Esperanto was so successful is that changing it was not allowed.

The “kv-” prefix is the “qu-” in English. It isn’t the best, but I don’t really mind it.
To get around using the letter x, you could use one of these solutions:
GNU / Linux
Windows
Mac OS/X

Then you can write it as Vojaĝo Ĝis Noktofino instead of Vojagxo Gxis Noktofino. :slight_smile:

I am interested in Ido.

It fixes a number of issues with Esperanto:
-Special characters. No matter if they are ugly or not they are an unnecessary complication.
Plenty of other languages work well without them, including Ido.
-Irregular word building. Pafilo (shooting tool)= gun, kombilo (combing tool) = comb, but bruso = brush. What happened to brusilo ? Well someone decided the “ilo” wasn’t necessary.
Ido fixes this, all word building is 100% regular.

• Gender. Some Esperanto words are male, eg patro, and some, eg amiko, are either male or neutral depending on the opinion of the person using them.
    Ido fixes this, there are two gendered pairs, patro/matro (father/mother), and viro/ muliero (man/woman), all other words are gender neutral with “ulo” to show male and “ino” to show female, eg amiko (friend), amikulo (male friend) amikino (female friend), kavalo (horse), kavalulo (stallion), kavalino (mare).

Unfortunately, Ido introduced unnecessary complications of it’s own:

• With Esperanto if you can say a word you can spell it and vice versa. Ido sometimes uses “Qu” which means you have to learn how words are spelled.
  • Esperanto has a completely regular “table of correlatives”. Ido has replaced this with a semi random collection of words.

It would be interesting to see if Ido became more popular with the “Qu” replaced with “kw” and a regular table of correlatives introduced, not adopted from Esperanto but made from easily recognisable words. Any suggestions?

Warning: necro
According to interlanguages. net/Grammar.html the Ido correlatives can be formed and used regularly if wanted.
I like Ido and would learn it, but I find it too Romance-/Eurocentric. Something like Lojban is more neutral.

1 Like

Here’s a direct link:

(The restriction on links is lifted after a couple of posts. It’s there for spam prevention.)