Analysis of visual memory systems

One of my goals for developing a standard set of terms with my summary and glossary was to produce a teachable system at any level from kids to adults. But understanding how to build a curriculum around memory was necessary. Using someone else’s basic teaching style was an option but not my choice.

Maybe I’ll start organizing my into a pedagogical structure now looking for methods to help students learn better. If your graduate student has any feedback on my current versions, @LynneKelly, I think I’m at a place where the structure is very solid. (The simplified and updated model of a songline is in my github account.) I know you’ve been busy with workshops to promote specific memory models, but would always love to hear in a new topic how successful you’ve been.

Workshops keep getting postponed due to covid restrictions. I am still very busy with reader emails and interviews.

1 Like

I just added a significant set of new terms to my Glossary concerning peg systems.

Here’s a breakdown of the peg:

peg – one of any SEA-IT data type memory images in a sequence for a memory system that has an order expressed by a traversal rule. Each peg system has a primary anchor.
Subtypes: object pegs, person peg, location peg (palace), index peg, synced peg, paired peg.
Synonyms: handle.
Examples: lawn (52), Albert Einstein (52), Einstein’s front door in NJ, 52 = a list of Einstein’s memorabilia, the PAO system, 10 body pegs associated with 10 compass+high+low points.

index peg – a peg system that uses each location to refer to another set of pegs. This system is used either to catalog a personal set of pegs or provide a category to other pegs.
Synonyms: peg portals, category peg.
Examples: 52 = a list of Albert Einstein’s memorabilia, 852 = physicist Albert Einstein.

paired peg – a peg system that associates one set of pegs with another set not through any of the data types but through the traversal type. Each set of pegs can therefore be used independently.
Synonyms: Co-mingled pegs.
Examples: 10 body pegs associated with 10 compass+high+low points, characters who are at locations but not associated with them.

synced peg – a set of pegs that have one or more related set of pegs based on the anchor peg type. The PAO system is the main type of synced peg system.
Synonyms: matched pegs.
Examples: the PA system, the PAO system, the PAIL or COAL system.

2 Likes

Hopefully, the last of the major updates to my Glossary has been made now in v7.0 which updates most of the terms to be in line with the SEA-IT visual components.

I will be posting other information about Method of Loci, decision trees for which system to use for which information, which systems are best to start with, building the optimum visual image with SEA-IT, and the difference between associations in visual images and associations between images in separate topics. I think I like short topics better.

My time has been occupied by making my way through several books for developing ideas and examples. I enjoyed the depth of research and thought in Frances Yates’ The Art of Memory but The Book of Memory by Mary Carruthers is so much more interesting.

1 Like

I’ve added a significant update to my Memory Systems overview and updated my Glossary to reflect that. I may switch my file repository as github has become more difficult to work with.

No more anxiety when studying for a test! :smiley:

1 Like

I added a significant outline of mnemonic systems to my repo. It goes into more detail than the basic classification there and is titled the Curriculum of mnemonic visualization. I will be using it for training purposes.

If you consider yourself a teacher or researcher of memory systems, I think this provides a solid basis in all of the systems that I’ve seen talked about historically and currently. The hard part now, is to provide full examples and exercises for all of them. If you have any suggestions for additions or revisions, please let me know.

1 Like

It certainly was wishful thinking about not updating my glossary any more. After working on a series of tutorials I found that I was especially weak in peg or rule-based systems and honed the language and concepts around them. The glossary is now up to 9.0 on my repo. Comments welcome.

2 Likes