Alternative to PAO system

Hi there! I am having a difficult time using the PAO system since I find it hard to assemble 100 names of people and envision 100 actions not to mention applying it to an object. Would a three object in one picture fitted to a memory palace be effective? Thank you very much!

1 Like

You can just ignore the Action part of PAO. And use PO only…and then,later add Action,when you master the PO…or if you ever need it!

2 Likes

Thank you! Will try to do that!

You can also just make a list of objects/people and forego actions altogether; it’s personal preference as to whether or not to include actions.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how you’re associating your people’s names with their number, but if you’re using either the Major system or Dominic system, that should help. There are also lots of existing lists available online, as well as web sites devoted to famous figures whose names start with all of the different letters of the alphabet (although these lists may well be skewed toward the Western world).

For me, PAO is best used for memorizing playing cards and competing. Since I don’t do either, I don’t use it. Instead, I do have people for 00-99, based on the Major system, and an “objects” list of 0-99. I only use the “people” list when I need to distinguish between consecutive groups of numbers. For example, I memorized pi by dividing the number into groups of six digits, which give me three images per location. I use a person for the first image, so that I can keep track of each group of six. (I hope that makes sense!)

Bob

3 Likes

You can place person and objects 1/2/3 (objs)
Linking with the person in the palace.
linking more images in a location might help during recall and you will also get the image instantly because you will be linking more images.

1 Like

Mr. Bob and Mr. Aavash thank you for sharing those information I will try the person, object, object first thru a link system and incorporate them into a memory palace. I tried the mem palace technique and it worked pretty well I didn’t need to do a lot of repetition. I think these methods need to be customized per person by the person himself.

1 Like