Alphabetical order limitations

(Karri Joy) #1

Hi everyone!

First of all, thank you to all who contribute to these forums, I have learned so much reading through the posts, especially for language learning and language vocabulary.

It is often recommended to organise memory palaces in alphabetical order (for language learning, vocabulary). But it seems this would limit associations between words. I would like to group words with similar meanings close together in a palace. For example, the words - stress, nervous, anxiety, worry - have a natural association that I would like to reflect in the palace. But with a separate palace for each letter of the alphabet, I wouldn’t be able to do that. I do like the structure of the alphabetical organisation though.

I am really unclear on the best way to proceed and if anyone has experience or thoughts on this it would help me a lot. Have you tried either? Is the association palace too messy? Do you associate meanings even within an alphabetical palace? I have read a fair bit but am getting more confused at the moment. (I did try memory techniques years ago and failed, I believe because I was unclear on some key areas and lacked direction. However am committed to making it work this time!)

Thank you

I am a hammer, yet data structure is one of my favorite analysis.
You wish to store your data in alphabetical order and also the similar words.
I suggests you use this App.
Screenshot_20190211-201605

So you might use it in this way.
pic1 is your location one that sort in alphabetical order, then story stores your vocab list of that group of similar word.
Then your structure becomes like this:

The rationale behind is we want to use a synonyms or antonyms in writing more often.
But when you are being asked to tell synonyms of words you most likely to hesitate. Then we think about when did I lately use that word.
The story helps you as you know about the location of anxiety. After that, reload the story in mind and gotcha !:yum:

That depends a bit on what your goal is. What language are you trying to learn?

If you are trying to drill SAT vocabulary (i.e., stay in the same language) then by association could be beneficial. For written Chinese you could use the radical order (look of the character) instead of alphabetical order (sound of the character). Not the same but similar to what you’re suggesting in terms of categories.

For foreign languages it’s only temporary storage anyway, until you’ve used the word enough in conversation. It also depends on the language(s) you’re trying to learn and what other languages you speak already. If you know French and Spanish then you’d probably have a different approach for Italian or Portuguese then say a non-Romance language.