[Advanced Level] Image Palace or Dedicated Memory Palace

This method is still method of loci:

1. Create an image as a memory palace for a topic to be learned. Let’s call it: image palace.
  2. Dedicate location over this image. This can be Journey method or Roman Room method. This will be your loci or mnemonic locations.
  3. Convert into images whatever information you need to learn. These are: mnemonic images (MIs).
  4. Place the mnemonic images within your loci.
    Optional: Place the image palace within a memory world or another memory palace.

Consider learning a programming language syntax, or spoken language grammar as the Russian cases for nouns, pronouns and their reflection to adjectives, obviously vocabulary: if you don’t want to re-read over and over, consider memorization. The strength of this variation is that you will never go out of loci, you don’t need to prepare many memory palaces beforehand, you must relate the learned information, aids or force you to imagine but with ease as you can always reuse MIs as pegs, modify and reuse as your learning is related and this shouldn’t be an issue.

Now, you can always memorize with meaning where your memorized information is or with symbols,

Example of information this method/variation can be useful:

Layout mode of CSS: flexbox, there are others that have other behaviors:

.someClass{
	/*stuff to understand*/
	display: flexbox;
	flex-flow: direction wrap;
	justify-content: flex-start;
}

Russian pronouns cases:

By having a place for pronouns cases and within a place for singular pronouns and within 5 more locations for each pronoun and then 6 per each pronoun for each case. Etcetera. That’s the logic.

:fox_face:

3 Likes

I want to use this method but I can not understand the step 3 of this method which I want to use,

And,

Cheers.

In this step you convert the information into images with meaningful association.

The point of the method is for you to be recursive, making the information to be learned, as simple but perfectly identifiable. I’d prefer to memorize meaningful information and not data or metadata like alphabets or codes for that a normal memory palace may be better.

Example:

Let’s say you want to memorize the usage, declensions and everything else regarding the genitive case for nouns in Russian:

The usage per se, that you memorize normally within normal memory palace, though you can always making a part of the image palace. But consider, that if, as I have done previously, your image palace is a cube like dice of six faces, that’s a lot of spots for you to play with. Locating this dice within another memory palace or a memory world would benefit in not needing to differentiate the Image palace (the cube image).

Source: http://masterrussian.com/aa061500a.shtml

You can dissect the data and rearrange the data without losing the original meaning. I’d create a palace, where I’d have two image palace (cubes, pyramids, trees, something that reminds me of plural and another for singular). At this point MP > Image Palace 1. For singulars there are 6 pieces of meaningful data and for plural there more. There are caveats and exceptions, those you add respectively or memorize apart.

Image Palace 1 it’s a cube (this is for simplicity, yours be whatever). You could use three faces for each gender, and other sub-loci for the correspondent number of rules: masculine(2), neuter(2), feminine(2). That means two loci within each face, there you memorize the meaningful information (in this case kind of word in nominative, if remove ending, if add ending), either as a text or an example (subconscious learning?), Masculine Face sub-locus 1: “when the nominative word ends in consonant add an а*” or image for example word in nominative a mnemonic action/feature/anything for removing and another for adding. For the endings themselves I’d make a peg list (for the alphabet, or for all the endings that appear in the grammar textbooks).

Whenever possible the use of a previously made mnemonic image or peg image, should be used.

Hello

Thank you for sharing.

I didn’t fully grasp how to use the technique, also I didn’t understand the Russian grammar example you gave.

Can you please give a full example of applying this method, on CSS layout flexbox you mentioned

Thank you

1 Like

Suppose i want to make a room based on “cat”, what can be the options?

1 Like

@Developer

First, memorizing syntax, does not solve all your problems. Sometimes, simpler mnemonic images and an use case example implementation would be better to memorize than this kind of stuff.
Just like spoken languages, it is within the phrases where the speech is found not in the grammar.

First information preparation:

CSS Flexbox > Container properties:

flex-direction
flex-wrap
flex-flow
justify-content
align-items
align-content

CSS Flexbox > item properties:

order
flex-grow
flex-shrink
flex-basis
flex
align-self

First, know your stuff. What’s flexbox, why to use it, where is used, is it worth knowing… this may aid in determine what to learn from memory or what not. Second, I’d do some reductions: instead of learning flex-direction, flex-wrap and flex-flow; only learn flex-flow which is entails the previous two, the same for: flex-grow, flex-shrink, flex-basis, flex; only learn flex.

Reduction:

Flexbox > Container properties:

flex-flow
justify-content
align-items
align-content

Flex > item properties:

order
flex
align-self

You will do the images… :eyes:

1. Give yourself an image for flexbox. Select two locations on this image.
  2. An image for container in its location. An image for item in the other location.
  3. Select four loci for your container properties, this on the image for container.
  4. Select three loci on your image for item.
  5. Memorize each property as follows: * Flexbox>Container> flex-flow image > flex-flow options (row, column, reverse, wrap, no-wrap) for the actual options you can make use of the link system.

Note: regarding this method, I always dictate to remember LIA (location, image, association): if you’re not recalling your failing in one of the three.

Advice: memorize properties options as you used them. If 90% of the time, you only use 2 options, what’s the point of memorizing the 10%?

Now, the benefit of this, could possibly memorizing examples using your syntax images as pegs images. Although, you can always save the code snippets. But do you know how to think in images? I’m experimenting with it, so far, I haven’t arrived at a system that I can teach other than I encourage people to think through visualization.

Thank you for your question.

@Naved

It’s not about architectural rooms, if you do use such, then “image palace” are overkill. The differentiation is that the loci of your memory palace is ordered by your target information, created when you “make understanding of the parts”.

Let’s say you’re a biologist or something alike, and you have an interest in felines, in cats… you first sort all the information that you want to learn about it. Your “image palace” it’s supposed to be constructed in a way that all the sorted information is hierarchically ordered as memory stations on/in the image palace.

Consider this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat and that you want to fill your mind with cat’s facts. You create an image to represent the central topic: a Cat in scientific context. Whatever you decide that image to be, you will continue adding images over, on, in, tight to this image orderly and with layers. Forget the real world physics, and think purely in pictures create meaningful abstraction that are mnemonics of information, every position can be accounted as category in the same level or another category below (you will zoom in, and keep imagining).

The end result should be a series of images, that then become an scene, that could end up becoming into a movie.

Cats: 1. their scientific classification, 2. their evolution, 3. characteristics, 4. behaviors, 5. senses, 6. interaction with humans, 7. ecology, 8. lifespans. All these are in the same level categorically.

You decide how many images you will go by so far 8 loci go on the Image of topic: Cat. Now, as you decide your images and you decide your loci positions, whatever information comes will be added in the same manner to the 8 images respectively. Example: 3. Characteristics (upper level) > Size=Skeleton=Skull=Ambulation=Claws (same lower level). The images will be mingle with Characteristics image, and it will build up image upon image. Regarding the actual texts, numbers, and complex data: you create the mnemonic image normally as you would associated to their respective schema (Characteristics > Size: 46 cm head-to-body, 25 cm height, 30 cm tails).

The method is this video in reverse, as you memorized the whole will grow, but again the base image does not have to be a cube, can be anything else: a body, a tree, an object, another geometrical shape.

Thank you for your question.

Thank you very much for the tips, my objective here is to fully understand the technique, I am not really interested in memorizing the syntax.

Can you give us examples of image you would use for the central topic(flexbox here) and examples of images you would use for subtopics(container, item here)

Thank you