A thought which can help in extending Memory Palaces

I had read in a book that we remember things that happen to us and when using the Memory Palace techniques what ever we imagine our mind thinks that those things had actually happened to us,

I think that most people in this world remember the things that someone had not done for them more than the things that someone had done for them

And I think that we can remember more the Things which happened to us in which we were not helped by certain people whom we know or were even hindered by them.

And I think that a technique can be created or the Memory Palace Technique can be extended as when using the original Memory Palace technique our brain thinks that the things which happened our Memory Palace actually happened to us

But if the Memory Palace technique is extended with the text I had thought two paragraphs above then our brain can think that we were really not helped or even hindered by certain people whom we know in our Memory Palace and we will remember that and we can also assosiate information to them in some way and depanding on the suceess of the implementation of the information in this post you may even be able to create an extended version of the Memory Palace which can increase recall.

And,

Have a Great Day.

2 Likes

Seems to be a good idea to include real people doings things that they actually did, and somehow connect these actions with the place. as to make them easier to memorize.
In my case, I prefer to bring to mind “good past events”, than “bad past events” or people not helping me.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I follow, but if I do, it seems that the “not” category will always outweigh the “did” category. This would theoretically lead to exponential amounts of negative ideation.

I do think there is wisdom in the “obstacle is the way” saying, but am not sure turning people we know into points of negative focus or themes of lack/obstruction will be wise over the long haul.

In case you haven’t come across it, Tim Dalgleish has presented research findings based on helping people with psychological issues using positive ideation in Memory Palaces. I can see this as potentially leading to the creation/extension of more Memory Palaces with a positive slant as one happy memory leads one to the next.

If anything, bitter associations risk one not wanting to think of other times and locations related to people and negative events, so extensions could well wither.

I would love to hear more about what you’re thinking, and if I’m misinterpreting your suggestion.

2 Likes

I am thinking of learning information by encoding them with as many types of encodings as possible and then linking them with each other with enough gap of time between each linking and encoding and I do not know if I am the first person to think of this but if I am then I am naming it as Spaced Encoding and Spaced Linking.

I think that a master encoding may be needed for the information that is learnt so that the master encoding can be converted into other different types of encodings.

And because I believe that the picture superiority effect is because of our mind encoding both pictures and words I think that if our mind will encode three or more senses with a gap of a tiny amount of time then our retention will be even higher than the 65% retention achieved by the Picture Superiority effect after a week because of multiple encodings done by multiple senses but if with Spaced Encoding and Spaced Linking multiple senses are used along with multiple types of encoding separated by a few seconds each followed by spaced interleaving and spaced linking then information can be learnt significantly faster.