A New Way to Construct a Fictional Mind Palace?

Hi! This is my first post. I’m glad to be apart of this cool community.

I don’t know if others have tried this. I’ve recently had success using the story method to create a fictional mind palace. I started writing and let the palace kind of build itself from my imagination as I wrote. For example, you could start with something like, “I fall off the zipline (locus 1) and into the foam pit (locus 2). The pit is surrounded by a cushy, blue border (locus 3).” The key here is to imagine the sensation of being on that locus point (or acting on it in someway) as you write. I realized that since we tend to remember stories far better than random data points that I could use a story to create and remember mind palace points. I have tried this with 20 random words and remembered them all, and I’ve since expanded to 45 new loci. The cool thing about a fictional mind palace is you can use things that don’t exist in your real home: mine has a slide, a rocket ship, a cannon, and teleportation pads. Have fun with it!

Also, another helpful tip is to incorporate familiar chronologies into your palace. For example, you could have a set of items that are gold, silver, and bronze, and now you’ve expanded your loci from 1 to three. You could use the rainbow since you likely already know ROYGBIV, and now you’ve expanded 1 loci to 7. Hope this helps!

4 Likes

Hi, welcome to the site! Nice to meet you :slight_smile:

That’s quite an interesting idea. I would like to learn more about your method. How exactly did you memorize the 20 random words? Let’s say the first word is ‘cat’.

• Do you create a palace first and then place the word objects on the stations? Given the example palace from above, the cat would be on the zipline.

• Or do you use the words for inspiration in order to create the locations? The first locus would then be something like a cat tree with a cat on it.

2 Likes

Hi there! Nice to meet you too, and thanks for your question.

I first started writing the story to create the palace. I would travel through the mind palace to each new point as I wrote. I then did a mental walk back through each of the locus points to ensure I had them memorized. Having tried to imagine the sensation of touching, seeing, and interacting with the loci (some of them I jump on top of, for example), I was able to remember them. Then I wrote down 20 words to see if they work as effective as mind palaces built from real places, and I linked each item to my loci. When I went back through and tried to remember the items I linked, I was able to.

I think the second bullet point could apply if you’re just looking for new loci to add - you could just use random words to spring new ideas and find some way to incorporate those images into new loci. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s fascinating. Your method reminds me of a technique called Image Streaming, where you also start describing things that come into your mind until they evolve into kind of a story. I never considered using them as memory palaces though.

Thanks for sharing your idea! I would love to read about your future experiences with this method.

2 Likes

Yes. I like this idea a lot. I would also like to learn more about how you find it working in practice. I have successfully used simple white rooms which I create with 10 locations - an idea I picked up from reading about Hugh of St Victor. This is working very successfully for me and I have managed to store the Dewey Decimal System which I am currently populating with lots more rooms filled with things I want to remember. I wonder if your imaginative palaces work in a similar way? Do you have a name for your system as yet?! Please do keep informed of your progress.

2 Likes

Thanks, Malcolm! I guess you could call it the “Story Palace Consruction Method” or something like that. :slight_smile:

Do your white rooms look similar to one another? How do you distinguish them?

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll keep you posted and check out image streaming. :slight_smile:

Story Palace Construction. Nice!

Ps. My white rooms take on differences only after being populated by things I want to remember. Works great.

2 Likes

technique a lot
I think that it is necessary to have flashiness and eccentricity to be easy to settle in memory.
Ice castle
House in the sea
And each
Anything is fine
I have a wacky object
When they explore again
It will be a hook to remember
After I used this method too
It’s much faster and more fun to make than just what you see in a palace.

1 Like

@McBrian16 I have thought of an improvement to this method in which the first two letters of two words in a story are taken or stored in working memory and a word is formed through them and then this process is repeated with the next two words,

And if at anytime a word can not be formed by the two letters that have are in our working memory then we can eliminate the first letter from our working memory and move on to the second lefter or we can discard both the letters that are stored in our working memory entirely,

Optional- With this improvement we can chose only to take the first two letters of keywords and if we want then also the joining words only, We can also chose to remove one letter of a keyword from our working memory and creating a word out of the remaining two letters.

Important- Every word should be the name of an object who’s image you have seen and can remember and those objects should be added to a memory palace to create a new memory palace.

And I had created two memory palaces one with your original method and another with the method which I have posted here and whenever I was having trouble recalling any text from the memory palace which I had created from the first version of the Story Palace Construction Method I used a rope to transport me to a second memory palace created using the method which I have posted above and after that I got a great temporary speed and memory boost and I was able to recall more of that text which I had trouble recalling with a slightly below average recall speed until that temporary recall boost lasted which was truly effective within its first second and I hope to be able to increase the length it soon,

Partial Evidence for this method

Scientists in many studies have found that recall increases if a person who has forgotten an item(maybe also known as a chunk) is cued about it almost immediately, and by this I mean the total recall in a memory test which was done in those studies,

And In this memory technique a person associates information to objects in the Mind Palace created using the Story Palace Construction method and then when recalling that information if that person struggles to remember that associated information then he almost immediately uses an object(decided by him) to teleport himself to the second memory which contains objects whose names’ first two letters are acronyms for two words in a sentence which is a cue that is “The first letter of two words in a sentence is y and z” and beachse this is a Memory Palace people can know the positions of x number of first words in a sentence of x words and this can be used to expand this cue,

And I have thought of another improvement to the Story Palace Construction Method which I will be posting below.

I have replaced the first letter in the first two letters of the some of the two words in sentence above,

House in,Hi(Hill)
And each,Ae(Aer,A product)
Anything is(AI,An Ai hologram)
wacky object(Wo,Worm)
they explore(Te,Tent)

I have made a word with them which I put in my Memory Palace and I have replaced the second letter with vowels a, e,I, o, u and below is the first letter, the vowel which has reached the second word, The first letter and the vowel together and the word made out of the first letter and the vowel after it

House,a(Ha,Hand)
And,I (Ai,Air)
Anything,u(Au,Aura)
wacky,a(Wa,Wand)
they,i(Ti,Tin).