A method for the Arabic Language

Hi. I am currently in the process of learning the Arabic language and i’ve also started the search of HOW to do it. This off course happened when i discovered that there’s a shortcut true different methods. I have done some researched and i frequently bump into how to learn Spanish, English, German etc. But not so much about Arabic. The time for me is critical and i dont have the ability to spend hours searching everyday. So if it is anybody of you guys that have read any useful posed or know intimately a method yourself i would highly appreciate if you could share it. Firstly i want to collect different material and after that come back whit some more specific questions. Really looking forward to some answers when i can see that it is allot of enthusiasts that give pretty good explanations.

1 Like

Here are 4 posts on Arabic:

Other than that, and advising you to try using the forum topics on other language learning on Arabic, I can’t really help you. Perhaps someone else can step in…

Bateman

Thank you for the links.

It seems that I eventually need to come up whit a new method.
Bateman, are you able to tell me what steps I have to take in order to do that?
Like some basic principles. Ex: 1. charting out the language structure 2. Choosing systems and so forth.
I would be happy if others also could jump in and tell me a short version of their own starting to end process. Really anything could help because I’m still brainstorming/charting out and studying the ideal steps to take. And because of time restrictions I sincerely ask for beneficial input. Like what to do and also what not to do.

Here’s a Tim Ferris article on learning languages, perhaps it can help(#2).

I would focus on memorizing the most common 250-500 words perfectly first. Make sure you know them intimately. Then, add on other words. Would help to find a friend or someone that knows Arabic that you can converse with.

I still haven’t learnt any languages other than English, so sorry if I can’t help much.

Bateman

We’ve chatted about this privately, but one thing I’ll add for everyone reading this outside of that discussion, memory techniques are absolutely fantastic for language learning if you use them in a structured and strategic manner. But you also need flexibility, which is why I always teach about using a particular method that allows you to create a personal system of Memory Palaces. Once you’ve got some traction, there’s really no end to what you can do and your progress will will speed up. It is in fact inevitable.

However, there are four other pieces of the puzzle:

Speaking, reading, writing and listening. I suspect that you are engaging in each of these, so in combination with memory techniques for rapid vocabulary acquisition, I know you’ll do well. I think the important thing for you and anyone is not to get caught up in the grammar puzzle or the false belief that Arabic is different or more difficult than any other language.

The reality is that languages are not more or less difficult. Grammar is an engine. Sometimes there are universal properties. Sometimes there are interchangeable parts. On occasion, there are custom-made parts that have to be ordered from a rare shop. And when that’s the case, the only way to get them is by visiting that shop.

How?

Easy. By reading, writing, listening and speaking Arabic on a daily basis.

And when you’re in that shop, whip out your carefully prepared memory strategy and memorize that part like there’s no tomorrow and put it into use a.s.a.p.

Of course, follow-up on Bateman’s links, but never forget that action and accomplishment are two different things. The sooner you develop your memory approach based on your studies and follow through with them, the sooner you’ll get results en masse. Do it while living and breathing the language and you’ll be amazed by what you can accomplish.

Also, I think it’s very important for everyone to start reading a monolingual dictionary as soon as possible. A lot of people will tell you that reading the dictionary is boring and useless. I disagree - although I can only give you anecdotal evidence, I have never learned so much about a language than from any other resource than a monolingual dictionary that is made for second-language speakers. Good ones give you phrases and you can study how words work in advance ways that will soon enable you to guess with a decent level of accuracy what different words mean. Add memory techniques to the mix and you’ll do very well. Of course, very few language learners want to do this, usually because they’ve been hypnotized to think that dictionaries are boring - in fact, they are amongst the most exciting books on the planet if you know how to use them.

Another uncommon tip that many people will never pursue: build your vocabulary by tracking what you say on a daily basis in your mother tongue. Just record yourself and then write down the most important words you use. There will NOT be a one-to-one correspondence in your target language, but with a bit of research, you’ll quickly compile lists for memorization that will enable you to quickly say what you need to say on a daily basis rapidly. Combine this with memory techniques. Again, many people won’t do this. You can get a similar effect from studying word frequency lists, but these lists aren’t a portrait of you, your personality, your quirks and your personal needs.

Hope this helps!

Thanks again. Its very reliving to know I can come back here for support when needed.
We don’t pay, but the customer service is available. :stuck_out_tongue:
I did make a method for learning Arabic, but i quickly found out that it was to complicated. So i went back to the easier methods. I also made the way to learn very restricting and it made me stuck instead of progressive so I decided to break it up.

1. A Mp/Journey for all the prepositions etc.

2. When memorizing from Arabic books and for example poems I just make a picture/action that includes the meaning of the words and at the same time gives me a strong sense of the sentences/verses itself. This makes the process very natural and also gives the words locations. And for the books I can have them in Memory palace’s.

3. But I also want a everyday memo of an dictionary. I did start in one i have, but you Mr.Metivier mentioned that we should use a monolingual dictionary. And i did some research, but I’m not so shour of which to get. I know that you have been involved whit this language to, so which monolingual dictionary in Arabic is best in your opinion?

Sorry for responding late on this. Holidays, illness, business and such.

One thing you should check out if you can get your hands on it is Arabic Lexicography: Its History, and Its Place in the General History of Lexicography:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-dQUAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Also this:

http://archive.org/search.php?query=title%3A(lisan%20al-arab)

And this:

These are old books, but useful depending on your reading level.

There’s this too: http://www.studyquran.co.uk/LLhome.htm

But if you are going to use English-Arabic dictionaries, here are a couple along with some grammar books:

http://www.ghazali.org/arabic/

Plus, you can read the books to cull word lists and whatnot for memorization.

As for a monolingual dictionary, there’s actually a book-length treatise about using them here:

http://www.staff.amu.edu.pl/~rlew/pub/Lew_2004_book.pdf

(Personally, I think their discussion of dictionaries not being useful for language learning is silly, but it’s still interesting to read the points against it - just don’t be so easily swayed please because usually when someone tells you not to do something, they’re endangering your ability to make amazing discoveries. Dictionaries are the lifeblood of a serious language learner, who must make it a religion. A good dictionary is the ultimate sacred scripture and should be read a page a day - at least.)

And then try these for online:

http://www.tyndalearchive.com/tabs/lane/

http://www.arab-ency.com/

And try this in print:

http://kitaabun.com/shopping3/product_info.php?products_id=3943

Hope this helps and sorry again for taking so long to reply. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

better late than never, tbh thanks a lot sir! im gonna learning arabic and your references its so insightful for me (sorry for bad english).