2021 Asian-Oceanian Open / MSO Memory Championship

Registration for the Asian-Oceanian Open is now open! See the World Tour page on the Memory League site for information and to register.

Registration will close at 2021-07-09T23:59:00Z 2021-07-10T23:59:00Z, one day two days after the end of the Season 12 regular season.

Registered competitors

Name Memory League Name Art of Memory Forum Name
Don Michael Vickers Don Michael Vickers @Bigdonnyv
Sylvain Arvidieu Sylvain Arvidieu @Sylle
Céline De Luca Céline De Luca @CelineDL
Katie Kermode Katie Kermode :rainbow: @katiek
Maksymilian Kozłowicz Maxxx @comeon
Niklas Månsson :fire:𝓝𝓲𝓴𝓵𝓪𝓼 𝓜𝓸𝓸𝓷𝓢𝓾𝓷 :fire: :yin_yang: 19s Names :two::one::sparkles: @NiklasMoonsun
Ben Pridmore Ben Pridmore @Zoomy
Mohamed Ramadan Mohamed Ramadan @Mohamed22
Ryo Kobayashi koba @koba
Kevin Schulz Kevin Schulz @Philodoof
Clay Knight Clay Knight @ClayKnight
Andrej Savickij Andrej Savickij (Latvia) @Sava
Sayaka Hokazono Sayaka Hokazono @SayakaHokazono
Yassen Ahmed YassenA @yassojudo2007
Alhouseen Hekal Al Houseen Hekal @Alhouseen
Rowaa Ashraf ROWAA’ @Rowaa
Ahmed Gabr Ahmed Gabr @Ahmed2008
Simon Reinhard Simon Reinhard @SimonReinhard
Andrea Muzii Andrea Muzii @AndreaMuzii
Guillaume Petit-Jean Guillaume Petit-Jean @guillaumepetitjean
Shuji Fujiwara fujishu @fujishu
Juan Pablo Duque Garcia Juan Duque @juanpabloduque
Takeru Aoki Takeru Aoki @Takeru
David Cantor DavidCantor @DavidCantor
Jacques Pecome daoud74 @daoud74
Dimi Kim Dimi @myelife
Boris Konrad Boris Konrad @Boris
Aavash Kafle aavash @aavashkafle
James Cumming Upendi @Upendi
Sven Wetzel QuaraMan @QuaraMan
Ganbayar Bat-Ulzii ganbayar960 @BG960
Jan Zoń Jan Zoń @zonjan
Orkhan Ibadov Orkhan Ibadov @Orxan
Arianna Leidi a.l. @a.l
Saroj Mote Saroj Mote @Sarojmote
Frank Grube Frank Grube @FrankGrube
Naoki Miwa Naoki Miwa @NaokiMiwa
Johannes Mallow Johannes Mallow @Hannes
Evgeny Stanichnikov Evgeny Stanichnikov @Stanichnikov
Jan-Hendrik Büscher Jan-Hendrik Büscher @JHB
Max Dietl Max Dietl @MaxiDi
Lkhagvadorj Batbayar Lkhagvadorj Batbayar @Boji
Abderrahman Charmat Abderrahman Charmat @abderrahman1672
Melanie Höllein Melanie Höllein @Mely
Paul Savary VA Retiree @VA-Retiree
Păun Andreea andreea.gabriela.paun @andreeapaun
Vishvaa Rajakumar Vishvaa @vishvaavishvaa1
Egor Eremenko Egor Eremenko @Egor_Eremenko
Ilya Gubenko Ilya Gubenko @Ilya_Gubenko
Purevjav Erdenesaikhan Puje @Puje
Tommy Harrison tomhn999 @tomhn999
Kaori Arai kaoritchi @kaoritchi
Emanuele Regnani Ema3ma @Ema3ma
Gayane Kuryatova Gayane Kuryatova @GayankaA
Tony Tkachenko Tony Tkachenko @Tony_Tkachenko
Damilola Joshua Olayanju Mathmaster @Mathmaster
Nika Krivenko Nika Krivenko @Nkriv
10 Likes

Cool, any plans when The Qualification finals will be?

-Since the Main event is going to be held in August.

It is possible to finish the qualifiers like this:
Week 28 (12-18) July Round 1
Week 29 (19-25) July
Week 30 (26-1st Aug.)
Week 31 (02-08th) Round 4

Main event, week 32: (14-15) August

This is assuming it would look similar like the last SLAM event.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the plan for the qualifiers.

1 Like

Hi Simon,
Today I looked at the World Tour ranking again and I spot something which I didn’t notice before.
Braden Adams and Naoki Miwa reached quarterfinal in the Pan-American slam like me but they got 200 points more. Both of them were playing in division 2 las season, now Braden plays in division 1.
The best four results of the 3 slams and 3 leagues counts. Now let’s imagine that Braden stayes in division 1. His results from season 11 will not count. Finally he can end up with the similar score as other people in division 1 but with additional 200 points because he started from division 2.
There is also exact situation with Jan-Hendrik Büscher and Abraham Saynes Jarquín. They both lost in the first round of the slam but Jan got 200 more because he was in lower division and now he is playing in division 1.
And one more. Simon Reinhard and Katie Kermode. Katie got 950 and Simon 750, why this happened? They lost in semifinal and they are from division one.
I hope it is not too late to discuss it again and change something.
Best regards
Jan

1 Like

Is this because Braden, Naoki and I played in the qualifiers for the Slam?

2 Likes

hm, Yes that makes sense now, thank you.
But I still prefer system with equal points for equal places. This leads to the possible ridiculous situation of a good player skipping one league and winning knockout tournament with +200 points and then playing another 2 leagues normally and not loosing anything.

2 Likes

Simon wins but gets the same amount of points.
Zrzut ekranu 2021-06-30 152736

Possible scenario of a World Tour

I forgot to sum up 500 but it doesn’t change anything

2 Likes

@zonjan

Regarding the points differences: I think the initial idea was that the sum of

(points for SSL) + (points for Slam qualifier) + (points for Slam)

would never be higher for someone who played the qualifier compared to someone who qualified directly as part of the top 10. You can see that on p. 23 of the Rules: the tier SSL 7 to 10 get 350 points for that, while the next tier (11 to 16) get 125 points. Since the winner of the Qualifier gets 200 points, the most someone who played the qualifier can get is 325 (125 + 200) which is still less than 350. And since someone in the SSL top 10 cannot play the qualifier, double points should not be possible in that regard.

But I think there might be a problematic scenario because currently the points you get for the Slam qualifier are summed up with the points you get for the Slam and not with the points for the SSL scores (see the columns at Memory League). And since the Slam points are a separate block from the season points, that might indeed open up the possibility that someone, in particular in the third season when they might only need one more good result, could think to skip the season and “boost” their Slam points by also playing the qualifier. I think the easiest way to remedy that, without changing anything regarding the current total points that early in the Tour, would be to follow the initial rationale and add the Slam qualifier points to the season score (SSL) points and not to the Slam points. With a superficial glance, that might seem unusual ("but it is a Slam qualifier, right?), but: a) it fulfils the purpose of avoiding someone being able to stack up more points than intended and b) the season scores also have as a major purpose to be a qualification system for the Slam, so it seems also useful in that regard.

@Simon , what is your take on that?

@zonjan And that Alex has the same amount of points as me for season 11 has its reason in the fact that he lost to Byambaa who admitted to cheating. According to my understanding, it was then decided by Simon Orton that Alex, since his opponent Byambaa had cheated, would get the win in that semifinal. And since it was also decided to replay all the finals matches, the goal was to avoid that Alex (or Andrea, for that fact, who had also already qualified for the final) would be potentially worse off than they would have been without a replay. Thus Alex also got the points for reaching the final.

2 Likes

friends,how to register in under 18,i gave my gmail id.but dont know what to do next? : (

2 Likes

Hello vishvaa, you will get an email soon, you have to send your parents consent. Then you can register

2 Likes

Thank you Joshua : )

1 Like

@Simon I registered today, paid and also got the changed message in the “registration box” but now the box again shows the option to register. Did my registration go through?

@SimonReinhard sorry about that - yes, all is fine and you should now see a message that you have registered.

2 Likes

Thank you, @Simon ! :smile:

1 Like

Thanks @zonjan and @SimonReinhard. I have changed the 2nd column in the World Rankings table to “PAO Qualification”, which is the sum of the Season Scores points and the PAO Qualifiers points.

1 Like

We are pleased to announce that the Asian-Oceanian Open will be part of this year’s Mind Sports Olympiad (MSO), in addition to being part of the Memory League World Tour.

This means that the top 3 competitors will receive MSO medals. The top 3 junior competitors will also receive MSO medals if they finish in the top 50% of registered competitors.

For more information about the MSO, see the website:

15 Likes

Small reminder to people of previous ML seasons and competitions that you have ~1 week left to register, if you want to participate in the Asian-Oceanian Open. Registration is as always done through the ML World Tour website.

The below list is as of the 2021-07-03T21:30:00Z.

3 Likes

Post number 2 since I’m not allowed to tag that many people at once.

1 Like

Post number 3 since I’m not allowed to tag that many people at once.

1 Like

I haven’t a laptop :worried: