2015 World Memory Championship Info

(Josh Cohen) #1

There was a post on Facebook by Andy Fong about the upcoming 2015 World Memory Championship, Including Mention of 2,000,000 RMB in prize money (about $320,000 USD).

We are happy to announce that the 24th World Memory Championship will be again hosted in China in December 2015. The planned venue will be in Sichuan, the most legendary and historical place of China. Sichuan is famous for its world-renowned cuisine and beautiful landscape, for which the German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, had even made a special visit last year.

The prize money of the 24th WMC overall champion will be at a record high of ONE Million RMB (nearly 100 Thousands British Pounds)! Moreover, there will be another ONE Million RMB as a new award for the one who is the most active in the participation of all WMC2015 interactive activities online and offline.

Further detail (such as actual date, competition schedule, venue, etc) will be available later.

You can also visit the website of the WMC2015 organising committee www.wmc24th.com and www.chinamemorychampionships.com for more information. The organising committee email is [email protected]

And:

The exact date hasn't been decided yet, it will be between Dec 5-15.

More info is here.

Who is going? :slight_smile:

Totally going!

That prize money changes everything for the sport.

(Dai Griffiths) #3

there will be another ONE Million RMB as a new award for the one who is the most active in the participation of all WMC2015 interactive activities online and offline.

I have asked Andy Fong what this means:

there will be another ONE Million RMB as a new award for the one who is the most active in the participation of all WMC2015 interactive activities online and offline.

It does not seem clear to me.

I am considering competing, but not for the money, since I prefer to train it more than do it, even thoguh I do like to do it, just that I am not in such a rush. :wink:

One other thing that concerns me is the money. Sponsorship has been promised in the past and things have gone wrong, so it owuld be interesting to know if the money is held in an account already, or is it just hoped and trusted that a sponsor will pay up after the free advertising.

As the person that is responsible for the money is Ray Keene, I have emailed him requesting this information.

(Josh Cohen) #4

Does anyone know when there will be more information about it? I wonder who is providing the prize money. This part could use some clarification: “there will be another ONE Million RMB as a new award for the one who is the most active in the participation of all WMC2015 interactive activities online and offline.”