10s Speed Cards vs 100,000 digits of Pi

Which in your opinion is the more impressive of the two?

What are your thoughts?

Btw, how do you set up a poll?

1 Like

I would say 100,000 digits of Pi. There is something insanely impressive to me about being able to store that many numbers in your head.

Though on the other hand, Memorising a deck of cards in 10s might just make your friends think you have a sort of photographic memory.

I’d say 100k pi digits too. That’s personal though, as I am more receptive to numbers and a long single goal rather than regularity about a fast performance.

10s cards are so impressive,as no one ever reached,but :100: K digits of pi,is so easy and can be memorized easily within a month.

That’s like asking 100m in under 9 seconds or a marathon in under 2 hours… neither is more impressive than the other.

1 Like

You have a point.

Put it this way, all else equal, who would one consider the better memory athlete?

We have not reached the point of bifurcation of classification of memory athletes as either speed or marathon. Eventually, perhaps.

10s cards is merely a total of 26 images for a two-card user. =78 digits if one consider the two-card user as a three-digit user (most are). And there has been a recorded attempt of a sub-10 score in Memory League for 80 digits.

On the other hand, the pi world record is only 70% of 100,000. This record has existed for well over half a century. If it were that easy, then why hasn’t anyone reached the magical mark of 100,000 yet?

I’d say that hour cards is very different from speed cards.

Who’s the better athlete… Michael Jordan or Pelé? The question simple doesn’t make sense…

Those players compete in different sports.

If Genie popped out for a wish, which one would choose then?

That was my point from the beginning… they use their legs for running in their respective sports though, so isn’t it the same? That’s what it sounds like when you say that you use your memory for speed cards and pi… nothing to do with one another.

Simply wish for an unlimited amount of wishes and choose both.

1 Like

Didn’t you mention ‘Michael Jordan or Pelé’ in your second post?

Besides, Usain Bolt wouldn’t have to run a marathon nor would Eliud Kipchoge have to sprint a 100m. Memory sports, on the other hand, is a 10-event competition. A memory athlete would have to practice in both short and long events if one desires to be amongst the best. (though we’re talking hour cards in a traditional event, not pi)

He also wouldn’t have to run an Ironman Triathlon either. Your above example is basically speed cards vs hour cards…

Exactly, 100,000 digits of pi is a whole different approach to the whole thing… there is no timer running.

Lastly, there are only 86,400 seconds in a day, so even if you recited pi consistently at 1 digit per second, it’d still take forever.

Lol, are you doing a Debate competition???

3 Likes

He also wouldn’t have to run an Ironman Triathlon either. Your above example is basically speed cards vs hour cards…

Lol, certainly he wouldn’t have to (three different sports). But a memory athlete would still have to go for all 10 events.

Exactly, 100,000 digits of pi is a whole different approach to the whole thing… there is no timer running.

Lastly, there are only 86,400 seconds in a day, so even if you recited pi consistently at 1 digit per second, it’d still take forever.
[/quote]

Regarding this, the original point was which is the more impressive feat before the conversation diverged into about who’s the better memory athlete.

Also, the current holder recited at a rate of slightly over two per second, taking him ~9.5 hrs for an amount of 70,000.

Its damn easy to memorize :100: K,the world record for hour numbers is 4620,it’s just required 22 times to memorize to reach :100: K.

anyone can memorize :100: K, with patience and enough locus that’s enough.

So 22 hours straight to learn numbers at your peak performance and for the best memory athlete ? That’s not a relevant argument.
I agree with you, 100k is probably more doable than most people think. Jonas Van Essen memorized 100k, he just wasn’t able to recite them on an official try. However, it’s not easy. The patience and the amount of work and preparation is what makes it hard.

1 Like

Yes with enough review,it can be done easily

Isn’t it 111k digits?

I dont think that record is offically recognised for some reason. On the official pi leaderboard the record is still listed as 70 thousand digits.

https://www.pi-world-ranking-list.com/?page=lists&category=pi&sort=digits

Memory sports (speed cards) is probably a more heavily persued record than pi memorisation. Lance Tschirhart and Wang Feng were known to train over 10 hours per day (70+ hours a week) and other competitors like Alex Mullen or Andrea Muzii probably did too, although I don’t know for sure. Thats more time than the average person dedicates to a full time job. I don’t think anyone has put even close to that amount of work into pi, and if they did then I’m sure the record would be at a much higher standard.

The fact that the top memory competitors in history still have PB speed card times of 13 and 14 seconds on memory league while at least 2 people (Akira Haraguchi + Jonas von essen) have unofficially reached 100K digits of pi speaks for itself.

Additionally, in his book ‘how to develop a perfect memory’ Dominic Obrien predicted that 100K digits would have been memorised before the year 2000. While for a long time he (and other people) never believed the speed cards record would fall below 30 seconds.

2 Likes