1.015 rating on chess.com..I feel smart

I just won a game on chess.com and as a result my rating is now 1.015. I have no idea if that is any good, but I feel really smart. I try to learn some opening variations, but my oponents always refuse to do the moves I memorised, and if they on a rare occasion do play these moves, I panick because I can’t remember what to do anymore. Anyway, I cannot motivate myself to study chess in any serious way; it just seems like so much memorisation to be really good.

Are there any other chess players on this forum and do you play serious or just for fun?

6 Likes

I used to play a lot and was quite serious about it. Never showed any real talent for the game and topped out at strong club player level. 1700+. I still play on the ICC from time to time.

Chess is primarily a matter of pattern recognition. Novices are overwhelmed at the number of possible continuations they have to calculate. Experienced players can usually tell at a glance where the pressure points are and what moves are relevant.

The first step in learning the game is to become fluent with one and two move tactics. Solve hundreds of short, simple tactics problems.

6 Likes

For a beginner it’s rather useless to memorize much, especially openings. Build an opening repertoire, learn the first moves and then just play. It’s more important to know the basic principles and to solve simple tactics.

Thus said, people have memorized full games by heart. It will improve your pattern recognition and I suggest you look at short games from Morphy if you want to do this.

The other thing is endgames. Knowing how to mate is essential and it’s worthwhile to memorize the techniques including the dreaded mate with knight and bishop.

If you are serious about chess then take a look at Chessable (http://www.chessable.com). It uses spaced repetition to help you with memorization.

1 Like

h…
ilove chess
my chess.com id
rdvishwas
send me requist or
reply this peg chess.com id
my reting tactic reting 2000

I seem to have a very bad concept of time in endgames. So when I have 30 seconds left and my opponent has 15, i still lose half the time on time and the whole time i think I"m winning (on time). Part of the problem is, that I don’t have a mouse or a proper desk, so I just use the fingerpad of my laptop and the longer the moves the slower I get. But in all honesty my theoretical endgame knowledge is really poor; I know I should do the chess puzzles, but I like playing more.

You are almost as close to Magnus Carlson as I am to you. I rememeber having an 800 rating and playing against a 900 rated player, feeling like I am playing against some chess engine.

1 Like

brother actualy my chess.com blitch reting 1500
hehehe.

1500 is still god level from my perspective.

1 Like

https://www.chessmasterschool.com/
i have 3 year corce.
and i found menny course on internet .chessgod 101
this is the best cource i recognise.

and yor rating

If you are asking about my current rating, than I have to disappoint you by admitting it has already dropped under 1.000. I blame my work because I’m to tired to play at my best level and my last opponents were probably better also.

1 Like

you play chess on 1.android app
or 2.pc

i will you teling how to get free premium member ship on chess.com .no spam ju for good chess pleyar. unlimited time .but 1 thik you play whit me atlest 1 game.

I appreciate your offer, but if I want a premium membership I will be happy to pay for it. I mean, I very much respect the people behind this chess site.

1 Like

o brother your feeling touch my hurt(when we loose some one). you can analize and unlock your true chess power

Some comments on learning chess.

Don’t get caught up in opening variations. Strong players talk about nothing else because at their level it does make a difference. Below master strength, games are won or lost mostly by one and two move combos. Play the openings on general principles, develop pieces, control the center, castle etc…, with a sharp eye for tactics.

Don’t get too caught up in strategic or positional ideas. A strategic advantage rarely amounts to more than the equivalent of being up a pawn, and must be handled carefully and patiently. Most players do not have the skill or the sustained concentration to bring such plan to fruition and a will likely drop a piece while trying to play out their strategy. Tactics rule in most club games. You may be the Napoleon of strategy but if you can’t handle the street thugs you will never get to command.

Game your opponent. If your opponent is short of time, bury him in complex tactics. Perhaps even sacrifice a piece for an attack and let him drown in the complications. If you are short of time, exchange queens and any other pieces you can. If you are losing, try to exchange all the pawns too. He can’t mate you with just a Knight on the board.

Ignore your opponent. Many players trash talk during a game. Even if it’s friendly chat, this can really undermine your concentration. Don’t read what he’s saying. You can trade insults after the game.

Nothing more frustrating than getting to the endgame with a material advantage and being unable to force a win. As @ScotchYeti recommends, learn the basic endgame plays starting with mates and then pawn promotion. End game maneuvers are long sequences based on simple plans. Knight and bishop mate is over 30 moves! If you know the procedures then finding the appropriate moves is much easier especially under time pressure. If you don’t you will be trying to calculate 10 moves deep with 10 secs on the clock. Even the comps can’t do that. The stronger comps use a library of EG positions.

Once you get a feel for what a winning endgame looks like, you can start thinking about long term plans for your game. Most master plans are about getting to an endgame with enough advantage to win.

I am not familiar with your rating system. The most popular is the Elo system in which a 200 pt difference means the stronger player should expect to win 6/10 games on average. The club ranks, A,B,C etc are 200 pts apart. Play against players one or two ranks better than you and figure out their tricks. If you play much stronger players you will lose and not understand why.

2 Likes